Thursday 22 December 2011

Brownie Burger Cupcakes and Sugar Cookie Fries

I have been following Bakeralla for quite a while now and I always loved this baking project she did. It was just very creative and didn't seem very difficult either as most of the components in this are made using mixes. 

So I finally decided to go for it and try the project for myself! As I thought it was not very difficult to bake everything - however it was very time consuming, but it was all worth it in the end when I saw the look of the final product!!


To start off with I made the dough for the sugar cookies as the dough needed to be refrigerated for at least an hour. I couldn't find the mix for sugar cookies so I used this recipe I found on the Joy of Baking website. It was quite easy and made more than enough dough - so I even had extra dough to make some cookies for myself! 

Once the dough was set, I rolled it out into a rectangle-ish shape and just cut thin strips, about the length of normal fries and placed them slightly spaced out on a baking sheet, since they do spread out a little when cooking. Once they were cooked, I put a bit of caster sugar on top of them so they looked like the "fries" had salt on them, making them look more realistic.


For the next component, the brownie burger, I used my favourite brownie mix - Betty Crocker Chocolate Fudge Brownies!! Once they were cooked according to the instructions on the box, I just cut out circles to make them look like burgers!

The only thing left to make was the cupcakes! I have a fail safe cupcake recipe I use whenever I need to make vanilla cupcakes, which I will definitely show in a future post. They only took about 10/15 minutes to bake, and I was ready to construct the fast food masterpiece.



To make the coloured icing to look like lettuce and ketchup, I just used some ready-made icing from Betty Crocker and added food colouring to get the right shade. Yellow food colouring could also be used to look like cheese or mustard in the burgers. 

Once the icing is made, just cut the cupcakes in half horizontally and put in the brownie circles. Then pipe a little of the icing on top of the brownie and top it off with the top-half of the cupcake. Then just serve the burgers and fries in the classic fast food looking trays, templates to which I will link at the end. To add an extra touch, you can add some sesame seeds on top of the cupcake buns, by brushing some water on them and sprinkling over the seeds to make them look like real burger buns.


The templates, are the ones linked to on Bakerella with the original recipe and they contain: the tray template, french fry holder (blank & with Happy Faher's Day) and the design for the Happy Father's Day tissue paper, as the original recipe was made for Father's Day. The templates can be downloaded here.

I was extremely happy with the way they turned out and am really glad I finally decided to give it a try! I definitely recommend giving this recipe a go as they are sure to impress anyone you make them for and they were really tasty too! 

Aneesa

No comments:

Post a Comment